Re: CULT: sulfur, calcium & rot

  • Subject: Re: CULT: sulfur, calcium & rot
  • From: Rodney Barton <rbarton@hsc.unt.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 12:17:52 -0500

To add to Nicks comments, Calcium sulfate is not very soluble, and the
Calcium won't be available as a nutrient.  That's the mode
of action according to the article.

>> In this part of the world, I think they recommend sulfur to lower soil
>> pH (acidify the soil), and calcium to raise pH (make it more neutral or
>> 'sweeter').  I was thinking of maybe trying some calcium sulfate, if I

>Gypsum shouldn't be that hard to find but I'm not sure it will help. The
>sulfur might be bound and not usefull.  Lime [calicum carbonate] raises Ph
>but I think it's the carbonate more then the calicum.

Rodney Barton

North Central Texas USA
USDA Zone 7/8
AHS heat zone 8
Annual rainfall 32 in.
Mean annual temp 65 deg.
Mean length of frost free period 230 days

North American Native Iris web site:

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!