Re: Cult: Fire Ants.

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Cult: Fire Ants.
  • From: "Janet Stromborg" <twinhill@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 18:59:29 -0500

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: GardnrJan1@aol.com
  To: iris-talk@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 9:44 PM

  In a message dated 8/7/01 10:14:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
  BigAlligator@aol.com writes:

  <<  From what I hear, they are spreading northward and westward.  Anyway,
  they are not only painful, they are aggressive as well.

  HI Mark,
       And here's a tidbit I wasn't crazy about hearing...according to a doctor
  near here, the "venom" from their bite accumulates in your body over your
  lifetime and can cause real problems.    So being bitten several times can be
  really bad.    Horrible little buggers.   They've got a mound entirely too
  close to one of my iris clumps now.   ARRRRGGGG
  Janet Natale
  zone 8 of Sc, Myrtle Beach

  Hi Janet and others plagued by fire ants,

  I've been ridding my 4 acres of big ant mounds with boiling water.  When I'm canning my tomatoes,  at the end of each session I carry the canning kettle full of boiling water out and dump in on an ant mound.  Because of all the tunnels within the mound, the boiling water sinks down into the heart of the colony very quickly.  Usually one or two kettles full is enough to wipe out a colony in minutes.  It's fast and it's environmentally friendly.

  Janet in Denmark, WI  USDA zone 4

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!