Re: HYB: seeds in containers

  • Subject: Re: HYB: seeds in containers
  • From: pbrooks@whidbey.net
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 03:41:36 -0000

Walter,

Wow!  15-18 years?!

I'm not getting that many seeds this year, so I think I'll give every
one its best chance.  Including keeping the nonsprouting seeds in
their pots in the coldframe until I get some crowded seedling beds.

Some of my SDB crosses have dried and I've gathered.  But the big
ones from TB crosses are still as green as ever.  How long does it
take for the seeds inside to ripen?  And will the pods eventually dry
and crack as described?  Or do some ripen but stay green?

Patricia

--- In iris-talk@y..., "wmoores" <wmoores@w...> wrote:

> On 7 Aug 01, at 18:31, pbrooks@w... wrote:
>
> > On this site and elsewhere, people have said they plant iris
seeds in pots
> > with many to a pot, as though the crowding is somehow
beneficial.  That's
> > not been my experience with many other kinds of seeds.  Is there
something
> > special going on with iris seeds that makes this a useful
technique?

> > Patricia Brooks
> > Whidbey Island, WA, zone 8-9
> >

>    Patricia, I have heard that crowding the seeds in a pot sparks
germination.  I
> cannot find a print reference.  It is not in TWOI, or I didn't find
> it.  On the practical side, not all of your seed are going to
> germinate in the first place and some that do will be wimps or even
> albinos and die so why give them a great amount of space.  You
really
> need to sprout them in pots or in a seed bed with dividers so that
> the seeds don't wash away or into each other over winter.
>
> TWOI (THE WORLD OF IRISES) says first year germination of tall
> bearded iris seed can vary in percentage from 90 per cent down to
> five per cent, and germination can extend over a period of 15 years
> or more.  Seed can remain dormant but viable for 18 years in a
> seedbed.  So, I use the pot method and rarely hold over a pot for
the
> next year for additional seeds to germinate.  After the seedlings
are
> removed from the pot, destroy the remaining soil.
>
> Walter Moores
> Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!