Re: Re: AIS: Registration List on CD

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: AIS: Registration List on CD
  • From: John Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 21:31:20 -0700

Iris Moose wrote:
> For example, what were the goals that were established prior
> to starting the project that they hoped to achieve?

1. To get the existing registration data into an electronic database to
facilitate activities ranging from looking up the color of a particular
iris to building geneaological records and researching heredities (plus
who knows)

2. To begin to understand how to best format data for future R&Is to
facilitate on line database management of the registrations.

> Is this the official registration data that the Iris Registrar will use in the future

No, for the time being the printed version is the official record

> or is this just a reference without any official approval?

Depends on what you mean by official approval. The project is sanctioned
by the AIS.

> Will this project have to be started again later from
> scratch to meet the specifications that the Registrar requires
> for the official iris registration record?

No. Additional fields can easily be added to the database. That the
previous entries in the previous official registers lack the new
information is no different for the database than for the existing
record. Every effort is being made to ensure that the database has
exactly the same information as the printed Checklists. But, that in
turn poses interesting questions. Suppose we know there is a mispelling
or an incorrect entry in the printed checklist. Do we keep the error in
the database for consistency with the official record or fix it?  Not an
easy question to answer. Maybe dual entries.

> Will this new
> database be set up for him to enter the data so that it only has to be
> entered the original time, and not later added to the unofficial
> website registry?

The registrar is, at this time, not willing to convert the registration
entry activity to an electronic process. We need to be cognizant of
working with the legacy systems.

> Are AIS's priority's in this project to establish a database to
> make the Registrar's job easier and the electronic record accurate, or
> is the priority to set up list for people to do a website search of
> certain data that is not the official record?

Asked and answered above. The electronic record is not necessarily more
accurate than the printed record. GIGO  (garbage in, garbage out)
applies in both cases. Human errors occur. Maybe there are some other
priorities as well...

> One can say that scanning the
> official record and then adding some tabs to it is official, but if it
> is not the database used by the Registrar for his official record then it
> simply becomes just another format of the printed books.

Perhaps, but do not minimize the usefulness of such a database.

> The planning of such a huge project is
> the most important part.

No. The most important part is recognizing that no matter how carefully
you plan, the first effort will not ever be completely right. The most
important part is allowing your self the flexibility to adapt as you go

> Finding volunteers for a
> well reasoned project with clear goals that everyone knows will
> benefit the Society in the greatestfashion will create a
> flood of people wanting to help
We have a well reasoned project and clear (but modest) goals. I have a
great tream, but certainly not a flood. The number of volunteers depends
more on the availibility of time, and the ownership of the materials
necessary to do the work.

> Are some people not coming forth to volunteer now because they feel
> this will have to be started over from scratch again at a later date?

Purely hypothetical.

> These types of questions need to be asked and answered
> prior to startingsomething so huge and involving so many people.
Some yes, some no.
> What questions did the AIS Directors ask prior to approving this
> project

That we start moving towards electronic capability.

> and what goals did they set for this project?

Asked and answered.
> I am a big proponent of seeing this completed in the best fashion
> possible.

Me too, or I would not have started it. The checklists from '89 to '59
are relatively easy compared to what we face with the '49 and '39. Once
we get the information into electronic form, we can do almost anything
with it including reorganizing it for use in new formats or database
layouts, new fields and processes to automatically capture the
registrations and generate the printed reports.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:
Vice Chairman, Region 14 of the AIS