Re: Re: HYB: seeds in containers

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: HYB: seeds in containers
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 07:05:27 -0500

> Some of my SDB crosses have dried and I've gathered.  But the big
> ones from TB crosses are still as green as ever.  How long does it
> take for the seeds inside to ripen?  And will the pods eventually dry and
> crack as described?  Or do some ripen but stay green?
>
> Patricia

   Seed ripening varies with the climate.  Our ninety plus heat can
begin in May after pods were formed in April.  With the heat and
persistent sunshine, I start to gather TB pods in mid to late June,
and by July 4, 90% of the crop is harvested.  I think I had two pods
this year than took a little longer to mature.  In cooler, cloudy
climates it may take longer for a pod to dry and split open.

    You don't have to wait until a pod turns completely brown and
splits open to harvest the seeds.  Many times a pale green pod
contains brown seeds even though it has not split at the seams.
Sometimes, with a late maturing pod, I will take a sharp knife and
cut into the pod at the tip where it would normally start to split.
If the seeds are brown, I go ahead and harvest it. If the seeds are
gray, tan, or still green, I leave the pod in place.  It's sort of a
judgment call and one that develops with experiencce - like spotting
balloon pods. If the pods have been on the stalk for two and a half
to three months, I would say they are ready without splitting open.
With more experience, you'll get the hang of it and just know which
ones are ready.

 I dry the seeds thoroughly and place the seeds in the freezer for
November planting in pots.  The pots are sunk in the ground and by
February, I am rewarded with little green sprouts.  If the weatherman
predicts 25o or below after some have sprouted, I cover the pots with
old blankets..

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

Small business owners...