RE: CULT: Bt and Iris Borers

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] CULT: Bt and Iris Borers
  • From: "Mark, Maureen" <markm@tc.gc.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 09:32:10 -0400

I'm not sure that anyone has tried.  But Bacillus thuringiensis produces
very specific toxins.  I am only aware of two varieties on the market now.
Bt var kurstaki is very effective against cabbage loopers.  Bt var
israelensis is extremely toxic to black flies and mosquitoes and has
virtually no efffects on anything else.  I studied Bti about 20 years ago --
it was discovered in 1977.  It would be great if we could find a variety
that was effective against the iris borer.

Ottawa, Ontario (zone 4)

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!