OT: Iris Display Gardens

  • Subject: OT: Iris Display Gardens
  • From: "Iris Moose" <irismoose@daylily.net>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 21:41:33 -0400

I remember when I got bit by the iris bug this Spring.  The first thing I
did was get on the computer, hit the AIS website, and start searching for
display gardens in my area.

Guess what?  I was bumming because there were no iris display gardens listed
on the site.  At least not what I considered an organized approach to
indexing iris display gardens around the country, sorted by state, etc.

Anyway, I did discover through internet searches that Glenn & Susan Grigg
and Lloyd Zurbrigg lived only miles from me.  This was perfect.  The Grigg's
have what I consider an excellent garden with modern iris cultivars, in a
lovely garden setting, with nice name tags.  Dr. Zurbrigg turned out to be
the one person on this planet I wanted to meet in the iris world because of
my interest in hybridizing reblooming iris.  Even though I did not find the
display garden list I sought, I did strike gold with these two gardens.

What I hope to do now is organize a list of Region 4 iris display gardens to
help others find what I could not...and what I am still seeking.  I have
added a new portion to my Iris Moose website featuring iris display gardens
in Region 4.  This is a totally free service since I consider anyone with a
display garden to be an ambassador of this flower.  Any garden that meets
the minimum standard for qualifying as an iris display garden will get a
webpage on the Iris Moose site dedicated to their garden.

These minimum standards are listed on the Iris Moose site at
http://daylily.net/irismoose/ and simply clicking on the "Display Gardens"
link.  The first Region 4 display garden listed is the Grigg Garden.  The
Grigg Garden webpage will give you an idea of the information for your page
if you are interested in participating (simply email me your garden info).
Unfortunately, my own garden does not yet meet the standard, but I hope it
does next season.

If you are wondering why I am only doing Region 4 at this time it is because
that is where I live, and I have to start somewhere.

Note:  I am not familiar with any prior discussions relating to iris display
gardens except for a brief note in an old Bulletin discussing "test" or
"trial" gardens.  I think the notion of "display" gardens is quite different
from those and welcome further discussion or suggestions to improve this new
feature on the Iris Moose website.

Iris Moose
Wake Forest, NC

Small business owners...