Iris in Large Barrels

Hello All,
I hope to be ordering some iris soon from various sources.  Most will go in the
ground in October, and I will be potting them temporarily in small pots.until
that time.  I do though have some large barrels that currently have impatients
in them that really are not doing well.  We just had our back landscaped, some
trees removed etc. and now their is more sun then I anticipated.  What I would
like to do is remove the impatients and amend the soil with more potting soil,
garden dirt and sand and then plant the iris in the barrels for a couple of
years.  They would look great in these barrels, displaying their flowers in
spring and then when they have completed flowering I could add trailing flowers
around the iris for the summer.

Does anyone else do this, or is this detrimental to the iris and they really
require being planted in the ground?  I realize in pots/barrels that they would
need to be watered regularly.  If others do this, is the potting soil with
fertilizer, garden soil and sand still okay for iris that will stay in the
barrel/pot?  Are there any other special needs?

Thanks all,

Pat

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!