RE: Iris in Large Barrels

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] Iris in Large Barrels
  • From: "Mark, Maureen" <markm@tc.gc.ca>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 10:28:04 -0400

Pat, I've grown I. pallida variegata in a barrel for a couple of years now
with annuals planted around it.  The barrel doesn't really have good
drainage if you get downpours.  It survived the rot last year as a result of
the endless rain last spring but didn't bloom this year.

Ottawa, Ontario (zone 4)

> Hello All,
> I hope to be ordering some iris soon from various sources.  Most will go
> in the
> ground in October, and I will be potting them temporarily in small
> pots.until
> that time.  I do though have some large barrels that currently have
> impatients
> in them that really are not doing well.  We just had our back landscaped,
> some
> trees removed etc. and now their is more sun then I anticipated.  What I
> would
> like to do is remove the impatients and amend the soil with more potting
> soil,
> garden dirt and sand and then plant the iris in the barrels for a couple
> of
> years.  They would look great in these barrels, displaying their flowers
> in
> spring and then when they have completed flowering I could add trailing
> flowers
> around the iris for the summer.
> Does anyone else do this, or is this detrimental to the iris and they
> really
> require being planted in the ground?  I realize in pots/barrels that they
> would
> need to be watered regularly.  If others do this, is the potting soil with
> fertilizer, garden soil and sand still okay for iris that will stay in the
> barrel/pot?  Are there any other special needs?
> Thanks all,
> Pat

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!