Re: Iris in Large Barrels

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Iris in Large Barrels
  • From: "Cheryl Leigh Chamberlin" <clc@cherylleigh.com>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 13:36:02 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pat" <bradleys@ga.prestige.net>
To: <iris-talk@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2001 10:22 AM
Subject: [iris-talk] Iris in Large Barrels

> Does anyone else do this, or is this detrimental to the iris and they
> require being planted in the ground?  I realize in pots/barrels that they
> need to be watered regularly.  If others do this, is the potting soil with
> fertilizer, garden soil and sand still okay for iris that will stay in the
> barrel/pot?  Are there any other special needs?

I had my irises growing in two whiskey barrels for three years. I had
problems with severe overcrowding and poor bloom. The first spring, only
three irises bloomed. The next year, I had 14 (still a poor percentage given
number of rhizomes) and this year I had 13. I had one barrel which was next
to a peony (dunno if this affected the irises or not) in which I had quite a
few rotted rhizomes, rhizomes with flowers that rotted before they had a
chance to open, and two stalks with poor-looking blooms.

My dad told me later that the soil we filled the barrels with wasn't very
good, though we did add topsoil we fed them. When I dug them all out of the
barrels, they were so crowded together that there was no top layer of soil;
it was all rhizomes.

Here's a link to my iris page. The top photo shows the better-looking of my
two crowded barrels.

I'd do it again, but this time I'd start with wayyyyy fewer rhizomes- I
probably wouldn't put more than 2 or 3 in each barrel.

Cheryl Leigh

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!