Re: Re: CULT: Iris display gardens

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CULT: Iris display gardens
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 20:00:59 -0500

On 10 Aug 01, at 9:43, Linda Mann wrote:

> Bobby Moose in NC wrote:
> <I am not familiar with any prior discussions relating to iris display
> gardens except for a brief note in an old Bulletin discussing "test" or
> "trial" gardens.  I think the notion of "display" gardens is quite
> different from those and welcome further discussion or suggestions to
> improve this new feature on the Iris Moose website.>

> Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

  In an old Bulletin?

 Linda, why I remember test gardens and I am sure that Neil does, too!
Yes, the term iris 'test garden' meant something totally different
from what some people are calling display gardens, which, I think,
one can just sign up for.

Test gardens were approved by the AIS and were operated under strict
guidelines.  Data was recorded for each cultivar and often printed
and released upon request.  A lot of people were involved with a test
garden which was usually sponsored by an AIS section or local iris
society.  The Fort Worth Iris Society sponsored two such test gardens
as I recall.  Both were at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden behind a ten
foot chain-link fence.  The gate was locked, and only members of the
FWIS could get a key at the desk of the Garden Center to enter the
garden.  I remember this very well because I lost the key somewhere
in the garden during one of my visits!  Fortunately, the Garden
Center had duplicates.

Another tidbit about test gardens that confused people was that there
was a commercial garden in Walla Walla, WA bearing the name Iris Test
Gardens.  To my knowledge, it was strictly commercial and not
involved in 'testing.'  I think it was founded by Austin Morgan, sold
to a Mrs. Mathews, and then bought back by Austin Morgan in his later
years.  Some may recall Austin introducing for Jeanette Nelson.
STUNNING came from Iris Test Gardens back in the seventies and has
produced ECSTATIC ECHO, which Schreiner's still sells, and the more
modern LIGHTS CAMERA ACTION, produced by Lowell Baumunk.
STUNNING SENERADE and MOST STUNNING came somewhere in between.
Not very many seventies or eighties irises are still being used as
parents, but STUNNING still is.

More than you wanted to know . . .

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8 (2.5" of rainfall today, meaning I cannot dig
orders tomorrow as I had planned)

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!