CULT: Iris in Large Barrels

  • Subject: CULT: Iris in Large Barrels
  • From: BigAlligator@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 22:19:13 EDT

In a message dated 8/10/01 10:20:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
bradleys@ga.prestige.net writes:

<< Does anyone else do this, or is this detrimental to the iris and they
 require being planted in the ground?  >>

     I have not tried growing Irises in large barrels, but I have had decent
luck growing some Tall Bearded Reblooming Irises in large pots filled with a
good quality potting mix.  Thinking of these Irises, BUCKWHEAT and HOLY NIGHT
are in bloom now.  Yesterday, someone took a closer look, thinking they would
be fake.  Only the smell test convinced them.
     Freezing could be a problem in some climates, but they all survived
temperatures as low as 12 F last winter with no protection.

Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, Florida    [USDA Zone 8b]

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!