Re: Iris in Large Barrels--can do very well

  • Subject: Re: Iris in Large Barrels--can do very well
  • From: "Gesine " <GesineLohr@excite.com>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 08:16:23 -0000

Hi Pat,

We live in a house with a tiny backyard which has been "patio-ed
over".  We have several hundred varieties of iris (mostly historics)
in pots and barrels.  They bloomed spectacularly this year.

DRILL DRAINAGE HOLES IN BOTTOM OF BARREL!  We drill at least
8, 1" holes (easy w/an electric drill).

MOUNT BARREL ON CASTERS/WHEELS -- this helps drainage, and
makes much easier to move

We use a mix of:
   Supersoil-type planting mix, sometimes we get it in bulk
   peat moss
   old dirt from prior years' pots
   bone meal
   good iris fertilizer (e.g. from Superstition)

We have had very little rot, including the other winter when
it rained daily for several months!

Usually when first planting a barrel, I'll put in 6 rhizomes.
Then we have to divide like every 2 years.  When we divide,
we take out the top half of the dirt, and mix up the lower half,
adding the new stuff, then stomp it down so it's packed down,
then water, let sit a day or two, then plant.

I don't know how many people have said "My gosh you can't
grow iris in containers!"  We HAD to (I got my Ma's iris in
1992, when my dad died, and was living in an apartment), so
we did.  Out of hundreds of rhizomes, we've had about 4 rot,
even in the wettest weather.  We're in zone 9 (San Francisco
bay area).  We've had good increase.

We have a bunch of 20" plastic pots, 16", 14", and 12".
Then I have the "iris babies" on the back steps, in 12,10, and
8" pots.

Gesine