Re: CULT: Iris display gardens

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Iris display gardens
  • From: neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 08:44:05 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., "wmoores" <wmoores@w...> wrote:
"Linda, why I remember test gardens and I am sure that Neil does,

You're right, I do....Actually, I planted and maintained one for
Region 11 in the early 60's for a few years.  The region is
geographically enormous with the iris gardens scattered over hundreds
and hundreds of miles.  Montana, Wyoming and Idaho are neither small
nor were they easy to get around in prior to freeways. --not that it
is all that easy now! Collecting together the products of the
hybridizers in the region gave some of the judges chances to see
things they might not otherwise have been able to.

Now that there are several commercial gardens in the Boise Valley,
the purpose is well served in a different way.  Riverview's enormous
collection must be a delight to visit.  The Colemans in Boise also
maintain both a display garden and a website that offer a valued
service once met by the test garden.

Their website is located at:

Neil Mogensen  zone 6b/7a near Asheville, NC