Re: SPEC: CULT: I. foetidissima

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] SPEC: CULT: I. foetidissima
  • From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 09:46:21 -0400

>I have the species and the variegated foliage forms of this plant and they
>just don't multiply. They are in beds with I. tectorum (shade) and
>Louisianas (sun), both of which grow like crazy. They bloom but have very,
>very little increase. Any suggestions?

I'm growing a bunch of different ones (mostly from seed) and they are
all slow to increase compared to other irises.  They are in dappled
shade most of the day with maybe 2 hours of full sun in
mid-afternoon.  I get from 1-3 increases per year.  Do you let yours
go to seed?  That might slow them down.
Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
Cincinnati, Ohio USA; USDA Zone 6