Re: Culture: Torching Iris

  • Subject: Re: Culture: Torching Iris
  • From: neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 11:15:43 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., irischapman@n... wrote:
"...torching the iris foliage...."

I would never try this in North Carolina, but while I was still in
southwestern Idaho, burning the iris in early spring was our regular
practice.  Like you, we found the foliage (thoroughly fried)
recovered quickly, fewever weeds, fewer disease problems.
Occasionally a bloomstalk that had tried to develop late in the fall
and survived the winter would be damaged, but frost always got those

When we burned the irrigation ditches to clean them of tumbleweeds
and leftover grass in March or very early April, we rented a wheel-
mounted propane torch.  The iris got flamed as we moved around the
farm, then cultivated to turn under the small amount of ash.

The practice is a bit hard on wooden or plastic labels, though.

Neil Mogensen  z 6b/7a near Asheville, NC