Re: Re: SPEC: X Pardancanda

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: SPEC: X Pardancanda
  • From: "Mike Greenfield" <redear@infinet.com>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 14:47:06 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dennis Kramb" <dkramb@badbear.com>
To: <iris-talk@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2001 1:21 PM

> >  >   All my white Pardanthopsises suddenly
> >>  turned purple!)
> >
> >Sound rather lovely actually. <grin>  Let me know if you get seed.  I
> >recently planted seed of a yellow form.  I used to have an orange and a
> >purple and a yellow one (all spotted) but the dark purple is all that
> I have been taking pollen from Belamcanda and applying it to
> Pardanthopsis but I'm not getting any seed pods.  Is their some
> special trick to getting this cross to take?  Or am I doing it
> backwards?
> I'm afraid to take pollen from P. and apply it to B. because the bees
> already pollinate 100% of the B. flowers anyway.

> Dennis Kramb

I don't grow " Pardanthopsises " so I don't know anything about them. The
way " Belamcanda " twists its flowers up while wilting I think it could be
self pollinating.
 I cannot remember when I saw a bee the last time. I have not seen any
insects near the blooms of Belamcanda. I have seen lots around other
flowers. I have at least 98 % of the Belamcanda  flowers that made pods.
Sorry but I have no idea how to make that cross. I would think species cross
would be hard to get to take, no matter how close.

Wish you luck

Mike Greenfield
Went out to eat last night and while ordering and eating we had  4 1/2 " of
rain. 20 miles north of the ATP tennis tournament