Re: Re: TB: HIST: help

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: TB: HIST: help
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 21:37:59 -0600

> From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
> Thanks Neil.  That helps.  I am still trying to come up with some
> potential identification for the red-black weed I grow that was
> mis-labeled as CHERRY SMOKE & was asking about BLACK FOREST's parents
> (DYMIA & ETHIOP QUEEN) because BF is somewhat similar.  Most of the
> red-black photos I've looked at have bronze or some other yellow tints
> on the beards.  My fake 'CHERRY SMOKE' has more self (maybe partly pale
> bluish purple?) beards. I bought SABLE NIGHT this year to see if maybe
> that's it, tho I think this critter is more tailored than the photos
> I've seen of SN.

You sent me your "Cherry Smoke" when we traded irises a few years ago. From
my observations of it in bloom I would guess that you are reaching too far
back in your search for its identity. It appears to me as more closely
resembling irises that were introduced in the 1950's or early '60's. I
don't see that close a resemblance in color to BLACK FOREST, either. As you
say, your iris is a red-black, while BF is definitely a blue-black.
> I notice that BLACK FOREST is said to be a TB on Mike's photo
> description, but I thought it was an IB?

BF was registered as a TB. Its bloomstalk is rated at 33" in the 1949
Schreiners catalog. So far, it has only bloomed at BB height for me.