Re: Culture: Torching Iris

  • Subject: Re: Culture: Torching Iris
  • From: neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 15:03:35 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., "Mike Sutton" <suttons@l...> wrote:
"...an actual machine made for burning weeds...."

Mike, what we rented was a propane weed burner from our local Pacific
Supply Coop.  It was probably very much like what you used.

We also did the match thing at times, and also used smudgepot lighter
cans--a lighted wick on a container of diesel/gasoline mixture that
could be used to pour a burning stream of fuel on weeds--but the
propane burner worked best for the various uses the same rental
covered.  The iris were incidental to the orchard border and
irrigation ditch clean up.

Char Randall asked: "Neil, I'm curious as to why you would never try
this in NC?"

The iris are actively growing twelve months of the year here, and at
no time is green, active foliage not present.  During the really cold
snaps the growth stops, but the foliage recovers later and grows
again.  I would be wary of fire use here because the rhizomes are at
or near the surface, unlike our Idaho practice, and I recall damage
to exposed rhizomes occured in our use there.  Here, it is never dry
in the winter, at least dry enough to burn anything--it would just
cook the foliage, not clean it.

Neil Mogensen,  z 6b/7a near Asheville, NC