Re: Iris borer photo

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Iris borer photo
  • From: THEO1415@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 14:05:06 EDT

Voles also eat roots of roses, fruit trees, azaleas, and bulbs galore  tulip,
most minor bulbs ... daffodils are safe, as are scilla and hyacinths, but all
the rest alas succumb.  As I say, the moles make the holes and the voles go
in the holes that the moles make ..  and if Peter Piper can do it why can't
I?  I did come up with a way to deal with bulbs and voles.  I sink black
plastic nursery pots into the soil, put stones in the bottom for drainage,
then plant the bulbs as I would in a regular bed, at whatever depth is
specified. I tried gutter wire cages, but ithey were  not very permanent.  I
have some species tulips in the rock garden that are now in their 6th year,
because of this system.  I have not tried it with iris, because of late, we
have not had a problem here with voles.  They come and go apparantly.