Re: Re: Mulch - cedar chipsII

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: Mulch - cedar chipsII
  • From: gmbeasle@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 22:22:07 EDT

In a message dated 8/7/01 12:26:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, RYFigge@aol.com

>  Or chips in general.  Once upon a time  - as stories begin! - my daughter
>  lived in R.I. and  it gets very cold there.  So because of that reason, or
>  maybe she didn't know any  better at the time, she really mulched her
>   -   AND it worked fine!  Nobody in this region  had ever done such a
>  and were horrified and advised against  it,

I mulched because I didn't want to weed.  I had been reading Ruth Stout's
book(s) on no weed gardening. (She was Rex Stout's sister - he's the author
of the Nero Wolfe mysteries)

We had a pine forest back of the house (which was on the western border of
RI) and I observed that nothing grew under the pine trees.  So I sent the
girls up into the woods with a wheelbarrow, and they raked and brought back
pine needles which I put on the iris in big handfuls.

In our location, the soil was very, very sandy, and also REALLY rocky.  I had
a buried boulder sticking up in the front yard.  The iris were on a slope
facing SE and got about as much sun as anywhere in my yard did.  I left the
mulch on year round.

Our growing season was too short to grow any melons - we couldn't count on
putting tomatoes in until after Memorial Day, and we got snow at least once
in October.

And as mother says, the iris did  fine.

RosalieAnn, currently above the Potomac downstream of DC, where the iris are
currently planted in an old well head and mulched with wood chips from downed
tree limbs from that winter with a series of ice storms a couple of years ago
or they are in the gravel bed in front of the oil tank for the furnace.