Re: HYB: Purple Leaf Base

> I believe that modern TB's inherited the purple leaf base trait from I.
> variegata and/or I. aphylla. These were the two "hardiest" ancestors of
> modern TB's, as they were native to interior parts of Central and
> Europe with continental climates, while all the other ancestors
> in or adjacent to the Mediterranean basin (think Pennsylvania vs.
> California for comparative purposes). However, recent TBs are
probably at
> least 12 to 15 generations (and sometimes more) removed from the
> crosses that produced the first tetraploids 80-100 years ago, and that
> means there have been plenty of opportunities for the gene producing
> base foliage to become dissociated from "hardiness" genes present in the
> ancestral species. Therefore, it is unlikely that at present pbf by
> is a reliable indicator of hardiness or vigor.
> Jeff Walters in northern Utah  (USDA Zone 4/5, Sunset Zone 2, AHS
Zone 7)
> jcwalters@b...

I have noted several different shades of purple leaf base. Some are
more purple and some are more red. If this is a simple dominat trait,
Then why are there not more plants with pbf, particulatly if it is
associated with hardiness? With it being a simple dominat trait almost
every plant should have pbf by this time, yet it can't be more then
about 25% of plants(very rough guess). )
I have Devil Riot in bloom now (still not adjusted to our hemisphere)
and it has purple flower spaths and no pbf. Go figure.

The more sun the base of the plant gets the more pbf there is.

Chuck Chapman  Zone 4/5, Guelph Ontario, Canada