Re: Re: HYB: Purple Leaf Base

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: HYB: Purple Leaf Base
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 07:56:19 -0600

> From: irischapman@netscape.net
> > jcwalters@b...

Your point is well taken. A gene can be both dominant in its effect and
rare in its occurence (as appears to be the case with pbf), but if it has
desirable effects, you would expect selection to increase its frequency
over time. This does not appear to be the case with pbf. J. Marion Shull
printed descriptions, including leaf color, of somewhat over 300 TB and
Median iris cultivars in his book "Rainbow Fragments", published in 1931.
Just under 10% had pbf. When I first took note of pbf on the irises I was
growing a few years ago, I found it on about 5% of them. I have since
considerably expanded the number of Historic cultivars I grow, and the
frequency of pbf has increased. However, if anything, this implies that pbf
has become less common, rather than more so, over time.

As for purple spathes, this characteristic seems to be inherited
independently of purple leaf bases.