Aphids - Leaves look kinda bad

Hello All,
My iris I put in last year have looked wonderful, until now.  Now that I am
learning more about Iris, I went to give them a good look over and clean-up some
leaves around the base,  and they were totally covered with Aphids.  It was
very, very dry last year in Atlanta now it has been more wet then usual.  So two
questions:

a) what causes aphids more humid/wet weather ?
b) I sprayed the Iris with Safe Insecticide Soap and now there is scarred leaf
tissue from the Aphids.  Do I just leave the leaves or cut them back?  It looks
pretty bad.

Funny thing is my older iris from my husband's farm that his great great
grandmother grew, that grow right beside the vent from the dryer, are doing
okay.  They had a few aphids, but nothing like the newer variety that I received
from a local nusery.

Thanks for advise.

Pat
N. of Atlanta, Zone 7A/B