RE: Aphids - Leaves look kinda bad

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] Aphids - Leaves look kinda bad
  • From: John Reeds <jreeds@microsensors.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:45:18 -0700

Wonder if the hint of laundry soap in the dryer exhaust was sufficient to
season the iris with a flavor unpalatable to aphids?  They do like warm,
moist environments.  When the weather gets hot and they migrate inside the
fan bases to breed (and the ants start farming them), it can be a mess.
Bayer makes a rose fertilizer with a systemic insecticide added that works
great for aphid suppression, and doesn't leave water spots & burn the
foliage like many sprays do.  Also, no hassle with pockets formed in the
leaf bases where the spray doesn't reach.  The Bayer product and Miracle
Grow (or any generic equivalent) are my two favorite fertilizers (not to
eliminate the need for organic amendments, of course).

John Reeds in sunny southern Calif.