Re: CULT: aphids and butterflies

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: aphids and butterflies
  • From: GardnrJan1@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 16:17:41 EDT

In a message dated 8/14/01 2:16:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
gibbman6@home.com writes:

<< , I'm beginning to worry about my butterflies and the
 almost non-existent honeybees and others that visit the garden. >>
Hi all,
      We have a very interresting unique situation here, speaking of
butterflies.   An attraction(we're in a resort area) called the BUTTERFLY
PAVILLION has opened and it features tremendous varieties of butterflies
flying around loose, indoors usually, but we've noticed some very unusual
butterflies in our yard lately, I think some "escapees".
      Regarding the aphids,  we get them very early here because our winters
are so mild (usually).   I always simply opt for squishing them all with my
glove covered hand, removing leaves that have them down in the leaf base.
And I have noticed some iris varieties I have just don't seem succeptable to
aphids.    I have had some iris flowers eaten from time to time, would this
be from aphids also?
Janet Natale
zone 8 of Sc, Myrtle Beach