Re: Iris borer photo

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Iris borer photo
  • From: Carol Canfield <Carolcc5@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 22:07:43 -0700 (PDT)

The grasshoppers are always huge and voracious where I
live, about 40 miles (as the crow flies) west of you,
Joanna.  I don't do much about them and late in the
summer I trim the irises just to get the ragged edges
off.  Too many of them, grasshoppers and irises) to
try to fight them.  I don't fight the fire ants much
either unless they get directly in an iris bed.  Then,
I put on a bit of 'el cheapo' brand ant killer and
they move away.  They keep ticks away, didja know?
You are not likely to ever get borers in this area.
I've been gardening in the Austin area for 12 years
now.  Never seen one.

Carol, west of Austin, USDA zone 8b.  It rained all
around but not on Spicewood!
--- Joanna Varner <joanna.varner@tdi.state.tx.us>

http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Borer_Sequence/Iris_Borer_seq.html