Re: CULT: Sytemic insecticides and pollinators

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Sytemic insecticides and pollinators
  • From: alhbee@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:51:36 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., gibbman6@h... wrote:
> Does  it make its way to the nectar? It would seem it might.
> Granted, they don't seem to like roses much, which is what the
> Bayer product is listed for, but are these types of systemics
> inherently dangerous for
> the good bugs?
>
> Jim Gibbons
> 8A, Carolina coast
> Rain's leaving, Autumn Tryst and Double Shot finishing up, with yet
> another Gibson Girl spike starting.

Jim
I use Merit for my iris borer deterrent/poison.  I also use it on my
roses. I was complaining the Merit was not stopping the Japanese
beetle from attacking the blossoms. A friend who has a commercial
greenhouse business told me that systemic will not go into the
blossom. He is very knowledgable about insecticides, fungicides. I
can verify, having incorporated the merit into the soil and well
watered, that the blossoms were smorgasbord.

Al Bullock
Z7 No. Va.