PCN: cross fertile?

  • Subject: PCN: cross fertile?
  • From: "mike" <land_of_mu@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 20:04:55 -0000

As I was cleaning up a flowerbed I found a clump of seedlings, maybe
thirty or so, that grew from a neglected seedpod from my sole PCN
iris.  I moved them to a large pot and spread them out to let them
mature.  my question is, what can i expect from them?  While I only
have one PCN, it is growing in the near vicinity of several styles of
siberiens.  Are PCN's cross fertile with sibs?  or should I expect
the offspring to be from self-pollination?  Any estimate on when to
expect to see blooms?  Just curious.  Any input is appreciated as I
have no experience with PCN's at all.

Thanks!

Mike U.
Olympia, WA
Still sunny and dry, but slightly cooler this week.  Sure could use
some rain!