Re:Moles & Voles

  • Subject: Re:Moles & Voles
  • From: "Carryl M. Meyer" <carrylm@bigsky.net>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 20:44:24 -0600

when I was growing up--we had our supply of moles and voles both--as well as
many other furry friends--who liked my Mom's garden--when we started the
flower garden, where there were to be bulbs--she had us dig a hole about a
foot deep, and the length of the bed--then we put in the small hole chicken
wire--several layers of it-on the bottom and sides--then put some dirt back,
then planted the bulbs, then some more dirt, then a layer of chicken
wire--then the top dirt--results--the moles and voles could not get to the
bulbs to eat them--and when the tulips bloomed, she put the small hole wire
over the top to keep the deer from eating them--
about every 5 years or so, we would dig the flower bed up and add humus and
other stuff--and the chicken wire lasted for many years--

we did not have trouble with the moles and voles eating the iris--but we had
the old purple  or  white 'flags' the length of the driveway--about 1/4
mile--and nothing bothered them--maybe the older Iris had a different taste
than the newer ones--

we also used to put the 'carbide bombs' down the mole tunnels--that was
quite effective in killing them--and if one of the dogs dug a dead one up
and ate it--he would not get sick--as he would have if we had used poison
grain--

In colder areas, moles and voles do not live--so you should move to a colder
area--fewer pests, no borers, less mildew and rot--and can we ever grow the
little bearded ones!!!!
Carryl in western Montana zone 3/4