Re: CULT: Sytemic insecticides and pollinators

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Sytemic insecticides and pollinators
  • From: cathycampi@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:51:23 EDT

In a message dated 8/15/01 4:32:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
melrossmt@yahoo.com writes:

My mother in law used a cigarette "soup" for her
garden and flowers. You take some cigs and break them
apart and pour water over the tobacco. Let this sit(it
will change color)and then she watered the plants w/
it. She said it never hurt the butterflies but kept
"chompy" bugs away. She would just do it about twice a
summer, I think.
Mel

Try growing tobacco plants and other nicotina plants.flowers attract
butterflies and hummingbirds. Nicotine tea is a poison so makes a good
pesticide. It also seems to be a detterent for burrowing varmits such as
moles, voles, gophers and ground squirrels. I pour about a quart down open
holes and on fresh digs, They never use those areas again.

I haven't heard from the other critters but the ground squirrels have climbed
the fence to verbally express their displeasure at my work. :>)

Michael