Re: PCN: cross fertile?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] PCN: cross fertile?
  • From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 08:30:55 +1000

>To expand upon what Jan has said, PCN's will cross with the Sino-siberians,
>as both share a common chromosome count of 40. The resultant offspring are
>referred to as Cal-sibes (possibly because Pcn-sibes would be difficult to
>pronounce). It is unlikely that a cross between PCN's and standard
>Siberians, which have 28 chromosomes (56 if tetraploid) would prove
>fertile.
>
>Jeff Walters in northern Utah  (USDA Zone 4/5, Sunset Zone 2, AHS Zone 7)
>jcwalters@bridgernet.com

Yes, I was thinking that at the time, but didn't write it. I would have
thought that the 40 chromosome sibes would need some human assistance. Like
removing the anthers from the PCI's (PCN's .. whatever) and placing the
siberian pollen on the stigma of the PCI.
How willingly would they cross without that intervention?
Cheers, Jan