Re:Moles & Voles

  • Subject: Re:Moles & Voles
  • From: dave2943@yahoo.com
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 01:05:37 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., "Carryl M. Meyer" <carrylm@b...> wrote:

> In colder areas, moles and voles do not live--so you should move to
a colder
> area--fewer pests, no borers, less mildew and rot--and can we ever
grow the
> little bearded ones!!!!
> Carryl in western Montana zone 3/4
I live in south eastern Ontario and have both moles and voles.  The
voles eat lots of plant material and the moles tunnel everywhere.
The biggest problem with the moles is that they push the newly
planted daylilies and iris up out of the ground when they are
tunnelling.
I know that western Montana is colder than southern Ontario but I can
say most definitely that moles and voles thrive in cold weather
climates.  Our last frost free date is traditionally the 24th of May
and frost can be any time in mid September.
Dave White, just north of Kingston, Ontario, Canada where I am
trucking water from the lake to keep the plants alive