Re: CULT: Sytemic insecticides and pollinators

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Sytemic insecticides and pollinators
  • From: alhbee@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 13:28:26 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., cathycampi@a... wrote:
> In a message dated 8/15/01 4:32:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> melrossmt@y... writes:
>

> My mother in law used a cigarette "soup" for her
> garden and flowers. You take some cigs and break them
> apart and pour water over the tobacco. Let this sit(it
> will change color)and then she watered the plants w/
> it. She said it never hurt the butterflies but kept
> "chompy" bugs away. She would just do it about twice a
> summer, I think.
> Mel

Cigarette soup has been around for a long time. There was an bug
killer call Black Leaf 40 which was a nicotine based poison and
banned by EPA. Merit, which I use is a nicotine based poison which
acts in the same manner as Black Leaf 40 or cigarette soup but is not
highly toxic to animals. It is an systemic insecticide. Memory tells
me it is a nicotine sulphate, but the Merit is in the garden shed,
it's raining and I'm 100% sugar. Next question-- how many of you
remember "Quick Elmer the Flit". If you do a wink is sufficient, no
ages necessary. ;)

Al Bullock Z7 No. Va.