Re: SPEC: Vesper Iris.

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] SPEC: Vesper Iris.
  • From: "Hensler" <christyh@povn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 08:10:01 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <BigAlligator@aol.com>

>      My one lone plant of Vesper Iris has been blooming about a week down
> here, and has even set pods.  Once these pods mature, how should I store
> these seeds until planting [hopefully not "ballon pods"] and when would be
> the recommended time to plant the seed in Zone 8b Florida?
>      Also, a couple feet from the Vesper Iris is a Blackberry Lily, so
> could be interesting.

The seeds can be stored like any other iris. I harvest the pods when they
begin to look dry and finish drying them inside in a shoebox.

They won't volunteer from seed here so I start them indoors in flats in
spring to plant out as soon as the heavy frosts are through.
I've had the best germination by soaking for a few days then chilling in
the frig for a month before bringing them into the sunroom to germinate.

Christy Hensler

Newport, WA