Re: CULT: Water iris & companion plants

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Water iris & companion plants
  • From: Kenneth Walker <kenww@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 21:44:47 -0700

Iris laevigata also grows well in shallow water. I grow it in zone
9 which is much warmer than its homeland. You should be able to
grow it in zone 7. Iris versicolor is related to Iirs virginica and lives in
places that are swampy. It's a more northerly plant but it also grows
for me here. Siberian iris do well in damp places, but I don't think
they tolerate standing water for extended periods of time. Note that
while Iris psuedocorus is a very nice yellow iris, it can be a bit
aggressive. I grow a dwarf variety that is much weeker than the
usual kinds and  appearently sterile, yet it still holds its own in
less than ideal conditions. I certainly wouldn't discourage you from
growing I.psueodcorus; just take into acount its tendancy to spread
both by rhizomes and by seed..

   Ken Walker
   Concord, CA  USA