Re: Re: HYB: Pot Planting

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: HYB: Pot Planting
  • From: RYFigge@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 10:25:48 EDT

I don't know whether I should enter into this decision on how cozily seeds
should be planted , BUT ----- once upon a time our iris chapter (FSK)  had
about 20 some junior members called The  FSK KIDS and Ann Dasch  was their
sponsor-leader-advisor.  She was  one of the most knowledgeable people that
AIS ever had and it is a shame that  she has retired into oblivion . You
young'uns (either in age or membership) may knowthe Siberian named in her
honor.  But to return to the subject of seed!  At that time my only
great=grandchildren and their mother often stayed withus when their Daddy was
at sea  (navy) -  Those were happy days.  The children were about 4 and 6 and
were part of the FSK KIDS under Ann  who taught them all about irises and how
to hybridize, etc.  Anything the children thought "pretty" were hyb ridized
in my garden  There were no Dykes in the lot, but  some results actually went
to several Nationals!  Anyhow, Ann taught them to plant in pots because iris
seeds might not germinate the first year, and if planted in the ground, could
come up several years later, maybe among other planted seeds and that would
confuse everything.  Some of the pods had  over 90 seeds, so of course they
touched -- others maybe ony 6 or 7.  The only difference I remember is that
the crowded seedlings were, indeed, difficult to separate from each other and
tender handling didn't always prevernt damage to one of the others or all.
The  pots were  large tin cans (  #    10s ?   pumpkin, tomato, sauer kraut,)
or  coffee cans or regular pots -- planted in the ground up to their edge. It
was fun, and it taught the children a lot that is still bearing fruit in that
they  enjoy having their own gardens from Florida to England.
I , too, am waiting to hear the results of how the seeds should be planted! !
!    Rosalie nr Baltimore,USA   zone 7   ryfigge@aol.com