Re: CULT: Water iris & companion plants

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Water iris & companion plants
  • From: "Mike Greenfield" <redear@infinet.com>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 15:08:41 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
To: <iris-talk@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2001 10:42 AM

> > From: Kenneth Walker <kenww@pacbell.net>
> > To: iris-talk@yahoogroups.com
> > Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT:  Water iris & companion plants
> > Date: Friday, August 17, 2001 10:44 PM
> > Note that
> > while Iris psuedocorus is a very nice yellow iris, it can be a bit
> > aggressive. I grow a dwarf variety that is much weeker than the
> > usual kinds and  appearently sterile, yet it still holds its own in
> > less than ideal conditions. I certainly wouldn't discourage you from
> > growing I.psueodcorus; just take into acount its tendancy to spread
> > both by rhizomes and by seed.
>
> You can avoid at least the tendency to spread by seed by growing the
> infertile hybrid, ROY DAVIDSON (Hager, 1987), rather than species
> pseudacorus. You still have the vigor to deal with, but at least it gives
> me a long season of bloom (a full month this year).
>
> Jeff Walters in northern Utah  (USDA Zone 4/5, Sunset Zone 2, AHS Zone 7)
> jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

 You could try cutting the bottom out of a small plastic bucket, large one
or a 55 gallon drum. and burying it in the ground. Plant the Iris in the
bucket to control them. Size depends on how big a clump you want. One
pseudacorus plant should fill a small bucket in three years.

Mike Greenfield
redear@infinet.com
SW OH Zone 5b, USA