Re: HYB: Purple bud & spathe

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] HYB: Purple bud & spathe
  • From: IrisAcher@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 06:24:26 EDT

In a message dated 8/19/01 3:01:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
neilm@charter.net writes:

<< Chuck Chapman's comment about bud and spathe coloring being quite
 differently related agrees with my own experience.  In the late
 sixties a group of seedlings from AUGUST ASTER showed one with red
 bloomstalk, a couple with some stalk coloration, and a number of the
 cross with colored edges of the spathes, a characteristic present in
 the grandparent CHIVALRY.  None of the seedlings had pbf. >>

This comment reminds me to ask if anyone else has noted the intense purple
spathes and buds on Tompkins BUTTERCUP BOWER (1961) ?  This iris, new to my
garden, was striking just before bloom, showing creamy yellow buds and
intense purple spathes.  Interestingly enough, I did NOT notice any purple
coloration on the plant earlier in the season, or after bloom.

Thanks,
Dorothy Stiefel
Zone 5
Dryden, NY