Re: Re: Water isis & companion plants

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: Water isis & companion plants
  • From: gmbeasle@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 09:38:26 EDT

In a message dated 8/18/01 12:11:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
THEO1415@aol.com writes:

>  HI   what did you do with your potted Japanese iris in the winter?  They
> are
>  hardy.  I live in Zone 7A, Eastern Long Island.
I took them into the unheated basement.  The information I was given was that
they shouldn't freeze the crowns, and the pond froze solid enough for skating
every winter.  Also, by the time I got the Japanese, I knew I would be
moving, and might not want to leave them there.

I was also planting water lilies at the same time, and some of them were
tender and couldn't be left over the winter.

This was in western RI - don't know the zone, but I think it would be much
colder than Long Island, which probably has temps mitigated by the nearby
water.  We were at least 1/2 hour drive from Naragansett Bay on an interstate
and at a higher elevation.  We sometimes had snow in Mid October.  My
rebloomers hardly ever had a chance.  Of course this was in 1972 or 1973, so
there have been a lot of advances in rebloomers since then.