OT:Bio: Laurie Flynn / Book query

  • Subject: OT:Bio: Laurie Flynn / Book query
  • From: Laurie Burns <amnemachin@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 07:08:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone -

Laurie Flynn, from southern Maine, new to iris-talk
(well, I'll fess up, I've been lurking for a few
weeks).  I've been growing irises, mostly tall
beardeds, for two years now, and am, of course,
completely hooked.  I'm just beginning to fill in the
huge, gaping holes in my iris knowledge, and I can
tell that this group is going to be a great help with
that.  I have a ton of newbie questions, some of which
I'm sure I'll find in the archives, but most that
could probably be answered by the right book?
I'm looking for a book with detailed information about
hybridizing, including what to do in cold climates.  I
did my first crosses this year, and got one pod (well,
it's two, I guess - they're connected), but I did this
based on a skimpy overview on hybridizing from a
commercial grower in Texas, and now am not sure how to
proceed in my Zone 3/4 climate (there's blind
fanaticism for you! lol).  I've searched the archives
for references to books, and found The World Of Irises
mentioned a lot (have there been updated editions of
this since '78, or just reprintings?).  Does this have
a good, comprehensive section on hybridizing?  Are
there any other favorite books that folks would want
to recommend?  I'm also looking for any good technical
books on the genetics of irises - an Amazon search
didn't turn up anything.

I apologize if it is painfully obvious to some (or
all?) of you that I just haven't done enough homework
yet; if so, any nudges toward the right direction will
be humbly appreciated.  I look forward to meeting and
learning from you all!

Laurie Flynn
Raymond, ME, USA
Zone 3/4
- unusually dry and hot summer here this year!

Do You Yahoo!?