CULT:weather, bloom

  • Subject: CULT:weather, bloom
  • From: "Impressive Irises" <irises@senet.com.au>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 06:55:19 +0930

Hi,
I'm in Perth again. When I was here at the end of June it was sunny and the temperatures were in the low 20's C, although overnight it's been cool. Apparently they've had a few wet weeks inbetween, but it's warm and sunny again here, while there rest of southern Australia is very cold, wet and windy. There's talk of water resrictions here, already.

I was fortunate that my trip coincided with the WA Iris Soc meeting, which I've never managed before. It was lovely to catch up with the WA members, some of which I knew, and some new faces. John Betts had slides of old TBs and Las and we had a quiz to guess what they were. I didn't do very well. The meeting was held at Jo Tunney's place and her garden is drepressingly well presented. It's like we would all like ours to be.
At home in South Aus we're still in rebloom, whereas here the warm weather has started the main bloom season. Sneak Preview was out as were some dwarfs and medians, although some bloom stalks were very short. Arilbreds were showing colour, and even some La were heading up. The weather is supposed to turning cooler and wetter at the end of the week, so that may slow thing down a bit.

Hopefully by the time I go home on Friday the weather there will have fined up enough for me to get out in the garden. Work has been very busy and I longing to get the garden tidied up before spring and to do some more work on my seedlings. I've come to the conclusion that the hardest part about hybridizing is managing the seedlings over several years. :-)

Collen Modra
inbetween
Perth Zone 9/10
and South Aust zone8/9