Cult: TBs: Sulfur

In the latest bulletin of the AIS, page 22, Rick Ernst tells of putting
sulfur in Cooley's iris beds to prevent rhizome rot.  He uses 5% sulfur in
the pre-plant fertilizer.  I am wondering if putting plain garden sulfur
into the soil before planting would have the same effect.
    We have quite a bit of sulfur left over from previous garden
preparations.  Here it acidifies the ground a little and helps loosen the
very hard, alkaline clay.  While I am sitting here in a cool room writing,
my husband is out applying the stuff  to our new iris beds.  I fear getting
too much on.  I wonder what the effect of that would be.  Last  year I
planted irises in a bed where I could still see tiny yellow flecks of sulfur
applied to a vegetable garden several years before.  The irises have done
well there, and I see no signs of rot.
I will be interested to see if anyone else has tried sulfur on irises.
Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9

Monitoring Service trial