Re: Cult: TBs: Sulfur

  • Subject: Re: Cult: TBs: Sulfur
  • From: alhbee@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 12:57:51 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" <fjmjedwards@w...> wrote:
> In the latest bulletin of the AIS, page 22, Rick Ernst tells of
> sulfur in Cooley's iris beds to prevent rhizome rot.
> I will be interested to see if anyone else has tried sulfur on
> Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9

I used sulphur as a dusting from 1970 thru 1996. When I joined the
AIS I stopped as the instructions did not call for it. Quite
logically who wants to buy an iris smelling like sulphur. I placed
the iris in a paper bag, added sulphur and shook like mad. Then
someone told me to shake the bag. :)

Seriously, since I stopped, I have more rot, 8 rhisomes this spring,
but not a run away problem. I do believe I will resume as a test.
Prior rot was minimal, maybe one or two rhizomes a year..

Al Bullock
Z7 No.Va.

Monitoring Service trial