Re: Cult: TBs: Sulfur

In a message dated 8/21/01 6:46:58 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< In the latest bulletin of the AIS, page 22, Rick Ernst tells of putting
 sulfur in Cooley's iris beds to prevent rhizome rot.  He uses 5% sulfur in
 the pre-plant fertilizer.  I am wondering if putting plain garden sulfur
 into the soil before planting would have the same effect.
     We have quite a bit of sulfur left over from previous garden
 preparations.  Here it acidifies the ground a little and helps loosen the
 very hard, alkaline clay.  While I am sitting here in a cool room writing,
 my husband is out applying the stuff  to our new iris beds.  I fear getting
 too much on.  I wonder what the effect of that would be.  Last  year I
 planted irises in a bed where I could still see tiny yellow flecks of sulfur
 applied to a vegetable garden several years before.  The irises have done
 well there, and I see no signs of rot.
 I will be interested to see if anyone else has tried sulfur on irises. >>

We used sulfur to acidify the soil in the vegetable garden, not planning to
plant iris there, but when the iris needed the space they did quite well in
the sulfur-modified beds.  Of course, rot isn't a major problem in southern
NM unless the rhizomes are weakened from being baked and the vegetable garden
had had the best shade on the place.

In Oklahoma, where the soil was more neutral, I used sulfur to treat leaf
spot every year and whatever didn't wash away would have been incorporated
into the soil. I can't recall a single experience with rot in those beds.  Of
course, we're talking about older, TOUGH cultivars and beds designed to
provide excellent drainage.

Sharon McAllister

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/M8mxkD/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM