Re: Re:KILT LILT etc

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re:KILT LILT etc
  • From: RYFigge@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:17:00 EDT

Paul is so correct about descriptions in R & I-- the criticism/suggestion
goes to the hybridizer!  It is very frustratinng!  There are SO many things
about an iris that should be described!  The Stylearms (and they can be
really spectacular, but you wonder if the hybridizer ever looks at them!).
Is the rib the same color or contrasting?     Etc ad infinitum,   The Beard
is it the same color from end to inside?  And what does "tipped" mean ?  The
end of the beard or  the tip of each "hair"?  I don't think they are
consistent about this.  And how about the haft?  No marks, color,  etc  Then
of course there is a possibility of fragrance -- however people's snifters
vary and I think I remember someone saying that the "smell" changes with  age
-- that pinks eventually "stink" ( a word my mother frowned upon, when I used
it as a child -- there is a more polite word!)   There are many variables, I
realize, not just  people's eyes and snifters, but also weather and soil ---
but still, more guidelines would be a big help!
At one time there was talk of requiring photos when registering an iris.!
That might work, but then there is the variable in photographer. and film.
 I'll never forget the catalogues, MANY years ago, from Cooley and Schreiner
and how you would not recognize AMIGOS GUITAR as the same iris, they were
pictured so differently.
Well, I've put my foot in it with my 2-cents worth, so I'll retire for a
while and eat lunch so I am in better shape to lick my wounds that will come!
  Rosalie nr Baltimore,USA zone 7   ryfigge@aol.com

Monitoring Service trial