Re: Re:KILT LILT etc

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re:KILT LILT etc
  • From: "Mike Greenfield" <redear@infinet.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:52:16 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <RYFigge@aol.com>
To: <iris-talk@yahoogroups.com>; <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>;
<gerrysnyder@mediaone.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 12:17 PM

> Paul is so correct about descriptions in R & I-- the criticism/suggestion
> goes to the hybridizer!  It is very frustratinng!  There are SO many
things
> about an iris that should be described!  The Stylearms (and they can be
> really spectacular, but you wonder if the hybridizer ever looks at them!).
> Is the rib the same color or contrasting?     Etc ad infinitum,   The
Beard
> is it the same color from end to inside?  And what does "tipped" mean ?
The
> end of the beard or  the tip of each "hair"?  I don't think they are
> consistent about this.  And how about the haft?  No marks, color,  etc
Then
> of course there is a possibility of fragrance -- however people's snifters
> vary and I think I remember someone saying that the "smell" changes with
age
> -- that pinks eventually "stink" ( a word my mother frowned upon, when I
used
> it as a child -- there is a more polite word!)   There are many variables,
> realize, not just  people's eyes and snifters, but also weather and
soil ---
> but still, more guidelines would be a big help!
> At one time there was talk of requiring photos when registering an iris.!
> That might work, but then there is the variable in photographer. and film.
>  I'll never forget the catalogues, MANY years ago, from Cooley and
Schreiner
> and how you would not recognize AMIGOS GUITAR as the same iris, they were
> pictured so differently.
> Well, I've put my foot in it with my 2-cents worth, so I'll retire for a
> while and eat lunch so I am in better shape to lick my wounds that will
come!
>   Rosalie nr Baltimore,USA zone 7   ryfigge@aol.com

 Rosalie  you are too much your post makes my day.
Wondering how much you could get on EBAY for a confederate half penny.

I had seen decriptions and photos of HONKY TONK BLUES and it did not do
anything for me. I saw it at a show a couple of years ago and it went to the
top of my want list. I haven't learned how to look at a description and then
picture the iris yet. They need to be better.

Mike Greenfield
redear@infinet.com
SW OH Zone 5b, USA

Monitoring Service trial