  • Subject: Re:KILT LILT etc
  • From: neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 17:08:32 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., RYFigge@a... wrote:
"There are SO many things about an iris that should be described!
The Stylearms (and they can be really spectacular, but you wonder if
the hybridizer ever looks at them...."

Rosalie, I most heartily agree with you about completeness of
descriptions.  As I've entered descriptions of my new acquisitions
into my database the past couple of years I have been struck with how
thorough and detailed the descriptions are that are provided by the
Registrar himself.  If one were to take Keith Keppel's approach to
descriptions as a model of how the process is best done you have
detail that is perhaps more photographically correct than a photo
itself.  The reference to a standard color chart for each color
detail provided makes for rather strenuous reading, perhaps, but
would be invaluable data for archives.  One notes that Keith details
each area of the beard color, resolving any ambiguity about what is
meant by "tip."  His descriptions of the style arms and crests are as
thorough as those for S. and F.  I have found only one disadvantage--
my description field holds only 255 characters maximum, and more than
a few such thorough descriptions exceed that length.

Which suggests perhaps that if all registrants were so thorough the
Check List would be twice its present length.  I would welcome that
increase, myself.  I might not enjoy its cost, however.

Neil Mogensen  z 6b/7a near Asheville, NC

Monitoring Service trial