Re: HYB: iris seeds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] HYB: iris seeds
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:01:19 -0500
On 23 Aug 01, at 11:08, RYFigge@aol.com wrote:

> Firat, let me say that I am NOT a hybridizer, but have friends who do
> --and Paul is correct -- it is the refrigerator for cold, NOT the freezer
> to freeze.  But maybe harm is not irreparable, try and see  --nothing
> lost, if it works -- sort of serendipity, Patricia, and you may have
> discovered something!!    Rosalie nr Baltimore, USA  zone 7
> ryfigge@aol.com
     My dad prided himself in the numbers of different types of Southern peas he
grew.  Many were old-timers which were no longer sold in the stores.
Lady peas, creme peas, crowder peas, and various types of blackeyes
along with fresh shelled pintos graced our table over the course of
the summer.  Rare okra, too. Every year he saved seed for the next
year.  They were frozen in order to prevent weevils from hatching and
eating the kernel of the seed.  Crops for succeeding years came from
frozen seed.

    When I became interested in growing iris from seed, I, too,
followed my dad's procedure for freezing iris seed.  We have
discussed this before, and it is in the archives, and, believe me,
freezing does no harm to iris seeds.  It keeps away mold, insects,
and aids in the stratification process.

     If you put iris seeds in the refrigerator, you may have
germination before you want it and lose your precious seedlings.
Guess I am picky, but I don't like dirt or even sterile potting soil
close to my food, even if the seeds are in a baggie.  Of course, if
you have a separate fridge in the garage or somewhere, then that is a
different story.

     I have known some to put seeds in ice trays and alternately freeze and thaw
 the seeds during the 'indoor' stratification process.  This is probably done in areas
were there are few freezes outdoors.

     Fifteen or twenty years or so ago, I recall filling out a questionnaire for some
one who was working on a project (thesis, maybe) on the germination
of iris seeds.  One of the questions on the questionnaire was:

     "Do you freeze your iris seed?"
      So, it appears freezing seeds is a common practice.

    Walter Moores
     Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

Monitoring Service trial