Re: Sulfur

  • Subject: Re: Sulfur
  • From: eemcjmks@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 18:21:43 EDT

     First, let me introduce myself. I am Carole Mitchell from Lecompton,
Kansas ( halfway between Lawrence and Topeka) - Zone 5.  I have been growing
and collecting irises in Illinois and Kansas since 1973, and have been a
member of AIS since then.  My collection includes all of the Dykes Medal
winners through 2000, and a large collection of  historic irises as well.  In
1994, I joined HIPS and have donated historic irises to their sale most years
since.  I was very sorry to read the message about the illness of Larry
Harder.  He is the one I responded to each year with my list of historic
irises to donate to the sale.  I met him for the first time at the AIS
Convention in Okla. City.  I wish him well.
     In keeping up with your messages this past week or so, I decided to join
in your conversation on the use of sulfur to control rot.  Does anyone use
diluted household bleach or cleanser (such as Comet)?  I have used both for
many years, and find them effective, especially the bleach.  I use 1/2 cup
bleach to a gallon of water, and soak the rizomes as I dig them for about
10-15 minutes.  I pour about 1 cup of this solution around the clumps that I
don't dig.  I have also dusted the plants with cleanser.
     Does anyone happen to know what the 2001 Dykes Medal winner is?  I have
just obtained and planted the 2000 winner, Stairway to Heaven.
Carole of Kansas (Jayhawk Basketball fan) - Zone 5

Monitoring Service trial